Sunday, February 15, 2009

It's Official...

I'm over 1800. I played my first chess tournament in January of 2007. I think that's decent progress. I ended 2008 at about 1700 and my goal for 2009 was to reach 1800. I guess now I just have to maintain it. In fact, I expect that I'll lose some points soon since this point gain was largely based upon favorable pairings and one draw that I should have lost. Even so, I'm playing my best chess ever.

Unfortunately, I have to take a forced break due to a major surgery I have coming up. I'm writing this post on my wife's computer so I can't post my last game from the SFCC tournament, though I will at some point because it had a cute finish. Wish me luck at the hospital. I go under the knife Friday.

Last thing: I have to wonder how much of this is regional differences in relative rating strength. I've basically gained 100 points since moving to Florida.

5 comments:

darkhorse said...

Good luck, man! I am really scared of knives and sharp openings... wait...

The right link for your USCF page is http://main.uschess.org/assets/msa_joomla/MbrDtlMain.php?13493878
Congrats and welcome to class A. :)

tanc (happyhippo) said...

Congratulations!

Take care and wishing you all the best for your op.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Valerio Tirri said...

Hi,
first of all, congratulations for your interesting blog.
The feed of your blog was inserted successfully in the
directory of YourChess portal http://www.yourchess.net and
it will remain in home page for several days too.

We are very pleased to have (if it's possible) a crosslink
inserted in your blog site.

Best regards
Valerio Tirri
Staff of YourChess.net

es_trick said...

Congratulations on reaching 1800!

Wishing you the best with your surgery.

-es

natec said...

Good luck on your surgery! And congratulations on breaking 1800!

I wish you the best (As I'm sure all of your friends back here do.).