Monday, August 18, 2008

Team 4545 League is strange...

Another odd experience being slightly dissed in the ICC team 45/45 league. I couldn't play at any of my opponent's suggested times, and so we agreed to an unplayed draw. He didn't want to adjourn, and neither captain cared, so there you are. Yet he made a haughty comment about me not posting any replies, after I had already said I was going to be playing OTB Friday and Saturday. These people seem very conceited about their little league. I just want to play semi-serious long games online, but there are apparently strict unwritten etiquette rules that I'm violating, or else the league is full of rude people. I realize that's a generalization based upon only a few experiences, and certainly not every person I've dealt with has been discourteous (or overly legalistic, as I found the TDs to be), but a pattern never the less seems to be emerging. I'll have to think carefully about whether I want to sign up again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For what it is worth I have found myself increasingly less interested in the ICC. I am not in a league or anything but the whole atmosphere is has been less and less fun. It is kind of cliquey if you ask me.

chess addict said...

Thank you for adding me in your blog roll. I have already done adding you too in my chess links. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Boris

Caeruleum Canis said...

I mostly just play 5 minute chess on ICC, and I don't have too many problems (other than playing bad chess, of course), but the few times I've tried to engage in the conversations in the various chat rooms I either get no response or I get something rude. It's a little depressing how seriously folks seem to take it.

Chess? said...

I can't stand the ICc inrtface. I have been playing at chessbase and love it. But it has rude people as well,

Caeruleum Canis said...

It's just too easy to be rude online. No accountability. I admit, when I'm drunk I definitely say things online that I wouldn't say OTB, no matter how drunk I was. Well, if I was drunk enough to say them I'd probably be too drunk to stand up and speak intelligibly, but it amounts to the same thing. I think Playchess is fine, the main reason I don't play there is that I find it harder to get games against good competition. And I do like the ICC lectures and GM game videos.